Hero Worship & Boxing.

This used to be a blog about heroes. I wrote tongue in cheek letters to folks I looked up to. I even got some replies. Now it will also include my attempts at boxing writing. And possibly some more letters, if I get around to it.



Wednesday 18 August 2010

Louis Theroux.

The first of my heroes to receive a letter is documentary maker and all round good egg Louis Theroux. In an attempt to cover all bases, I have sent the letter both by post, to the BBC, and by email, to Louis' agent. Fingers crossed he gets it eh?

Dear Louis,
                  
You are my hero. Or one of my heroes at any rate. This year, I decided I would write letters to all of those figures in the public eye about whom I’d thought ‘I’d love to have a pint with them,’ yourself included. All of my letters, and any replies I receive, will be posted at http://heroesofmine.blogspot.com.

However Louis, if you were to visit the above web address immediately, you would find only this letter, because after spending many hours this summer watching your entire back catalogue of documentaries, it was the desire to meet you that inspired me to start this project. For, as I spent those many hours watching your entire back catalogue of documentaries (I think my favourites were African Hunting Holiday and Thai Brides), I was struck with an idea that I think represents a fantastic opportunity for both you and I.

Having perceptively noticed that many of your programmes involve you spending time amongst unusual groups or subcultures, I realised there is one group of oddballs you have yet to investigate - your own fans! Who are they? And what makes them tick? There are so many questions! Of course, as a fan myself, I could offer you an ‘in’ into our world. But as well as you getting to know us, it would allow us to better get to know you. Indeed, if this idea has the legs I think it does, it could potentially become a lucrative two-parter!

I appreciate it may take you a fair while to mull over such a proposal, so will not expect a reply immediately, though look forward to hearing your ideas on the project immensely.

All the best Louis,

Your Fan,

Joe Troop