Hero Worship & Boxing.

This used to be a blog about heroes. I wrote tongue in cheek letters to folks I looked up to. I even got some replies. Now it will also include my attempts at boxing writing. And possibly some more letters, if I get around to it.



Wednesday 3 November 2010

David Haye.

David Haye is the current WBA Heavyweight Champion of the World and a former unified Cruiserweight Champion. A big-punching, trash-talking, pantomime villain of a boxer, Haye is very much the marmite man of pugilism. The shot in the arm the heavyweight division needed, or an arrogant loudmouth who ducks the biggest fights, either way, in the 12 months since he won his heavyweight strap, Haye has got people talking. Given his appearance in this blog, it doesn't take a genius to figure out which camp I fall into. Click below to read my letter to the man they call 'The Hayemaker'.


Dear David,

My name is Joseph William Troop (what, if anything, is your middle name?), but to most I am known simply as ‘Joe’. For a while I did try encouraging people to call me ‘White Fang’, a nickname I had come up with for myself, though unfortunately it never caught on.

Now that I have introduced myself, I will get straight to the point. At the age of 24, with no previous experience whatsoever, I, Joe Troop, have decided to enter the world of combat sports! And now David, if you will, allow me to tell you why.

For many years I have been told by all and sundry that I bear a striking resemblance to one of the UK’s greatest boxing exports, Ricky Hatton. Of late, I have also received several comparisons with the mixed martial artist Michael Bisping. And this got me thinking. What if my face, nay, my entire skull, is structured in such a way that predisposes me to success in the fight game? The Victorians called the study and measurement of skulls Phrenology, and having skimmed the article about it on Wikipedia it looks pretty water tight to me!

Amazingly, until now I have cursed my sloping, Neanderthal brow as readily as I have lauded my chiselled jaw; if only I had recognised earlier the glorious destiny that the combination of the two foretold! However, I am not so naïve as to think that my incredible skull will do all the work for me, far from it! And that is where you come in.

What I need is to learn how to punch (to date, I have never actually had a fight, though I do not anticipate this posing much of a problem), and who better to learn from than the biggest puncher in world boxing! Indeed, with you having already announced that you will retire from the ring before the end of 2011, the timing could not be more perfect! It is fated to be! And even The Hayemaker can’t fight fate!

With you in my corner, I have no doubt whatsoever that I will fulfil my destiny of becoming a renowned pugilist. Perhaps my desired nickname will even catch on, I think Joe “White Fang” Troop would be an excellent boxing moniker, don’t you?

I look forward to your acceptance of my proposal with relish, all the best David,

Your Fan,

Joe Troop