Hero Worship & Boxing.

This used to be a blog about heroes. I wrote tongue in cheek letters to folks I looked up to. I even got some replies. Now it will also include my attempts at boxing writing. And possibly some more letters, if I get around to it.



Wednesday 1 September 2010

Yannis Philippakis.

Foals are one of my very favourite bands. Despite them only having released two albums, what with ep's, remixes and cover versions, my iTunes informs me that I have 3.8 hours worth of their music at my fingertips. Their latest album, Total Life Forever, has been the soundtrack to my shower time nearly every morning since its release. And Yannis Philippakis is their exotically named frontman. Click here and here to listen, and then read my letter to lovely Yannis below...



Dear Yannis,
                  
I do hope that this letter finds you well, you will be pleased to hear that I myself am happy and healthy. Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Joe, and I write to you as a simple fan with a simple request. I recently saw you perform live with your critically acclaimed band, the Foals, at Leeds Festival. Whilst I very much enjoyed your performance, I write to offer some constructive criticism regarding your set list.

May I first say though that I absolutely adore your most recent album, Total Life Forever. Indeed, I have just about run out of superlatives with which to describe it, (though how much this has to do with my limited knowledge of superlatives I am not currently in a position to say.) However, my two favourite tracks from said album, Blue Blood and This Orient, were somewhat mystifyingly not included in your set at Leeds. Far be it from me to tell you which of your songs are better or worse than others, but I feel I must tell you that I consider these songs to be superior to some of those which were included in your set, which were still good, but inferior.

As both a fan of the Foals and a Manchester native, naturally I have purchased tickets to come and watch you perform live in Manchester. And I would like to take this opportunity to offer you both a shot at redemption, and a chance to meet me. If you can offer a personal guarantee that both Blue Blood and This Orient will form part of your set list, I would gladly accept backstage passes as a conciliatory gesture for your recent indiscretion. I would also strongly consider accepting a guest list spot for your DJ set at the Warehouse Project following the gig.

All the best Yannis, keep up the good work!

Your Fan,

Joe Troop