Hero Worship & Boxing.

This used to be a blog about heroes. I wrote tongue in cheek letters to folks I looked up to. I even got some replies. Now it will also include my attempts at boxing writing. And possibly some more letters, if I get around to it.



Wednesday 1 September 2010

Rules and Regulations.

Hello.

Two heroes down, an as yet unspecified number of heroes to go.



Thanks to all of you who have been reading, and special thanks to everyone who has offered their opinions and/or advice; this blogging lark is new to me so any and all feedback is appreciated. Well, most of it is. Some of it will be flatly ignored. Still though, it's the thought that counts, so please keep it coming!

Anyhow, after writing my first two letters (and digesting aforementioned feedback), I have come up with a loose set of rules that I will try to abide by when writing each letter. I thought it would be useful to set out these rules here, in this very post.
  • I will only write letters to people from whom it is conceivable I may receive a reply, so that's Denzel Washington, Ricky Gervais and Carlos Tevez crossed off the hit list then...
  • Each letter will be no longer than one A4 page, to give it the best chance of actually being read.
  • I will post and email each letter to every possible address I can track down in the annals of the internet, favouring postal addresses where possible.
  • Though each of the people I write to are genuinely heroes of mine, the letters themselves will mostly be light hearted and intended to be humourous rather than hero-worship.
Also, from now on, I will try to include a little more in each post about why I consider the recipient of each letter to be a hero (thanks to Brett for the heads up on that one!) And so just to bring things up to date on that score...

I consider Louis Theroux a hero simply because I love his documentaries, characterised by his disarming affability and the way he attempts to completely immerse himself in the world of his subjects. He does this best in his Weird Weekends series, each episode a reminder to me that everybody has a story to tell, and most are happy to share theirs with a little gentle coaxing.

And Stewart Lee, well, Stewart Lee is just fantastically funny. Intelligent and uncompromising, I can't think of another stand up who can hold a candle to him. For evidence, see the youtube videos I have already posted, read this interview, and this article. Or even go and read his novel, The Perfect Fool. That's right, he is a published novelist. So, basically, I like him because he's clever. And funny. And also clever.

So that's enough for this post, which will immediately be followed by my latest letter. I hope you enjoy reading it, and if you do, it would be lovely if you wouldn't mind sharing this blog with others who might also enjoy it!

Thanks for reading.